Oh I decided to research dental caries. After all this time, thought it could be good to KNOW what was actually going-on with my teeth– teeth that apparently and collectively have decided to rot out of my head.
First off, it isn’t “sugar” that causes tooth decay. It’s ACID. Granted, the bacteria that FEEDS on sugar and other food, is the major source for extra acid within your mouth. But the MAJOR problem is too much acid breaking down the enamel. And that acid being present because of BACTERIA.
Which is why baking soda is a time-honored remedy that many use for brushing their teeth. Baking soda is a BASE, that can neutralize ACID. Mostly teeth go through a breaking down/building up in phases — where the acid can break it down, and calcium and fluoridation build it up. So when the process for tooth care, is based solely on fluoridation while leaving the acids in place … you are looking at teeth that are constantly trying to play catch-up. And in my case, they often lose.
(And yes, this means the low-salt diet I was on as a child is the likely catalyst of my tooth problem.)
Once the bacteria is established, it’s not going anywhere — no matter HOW much you brush. So the better course within an infected mouth (which mine has been since age 14) …. is to treat the acid/base in the mouth. And to fight the bacteria as best you can.
Now …… once the bacteria reaches the sinuses ……… you have the congestion at night, forcing the mouth open to breathe. THEN you have less saliva AND a Ph value going into the acid-range. So it becomes a carousal that once you get on, it is hard to get off. What makes it worse?
Psych medications that dry up your saliva. Radiation to the throat. I’ve had both. So what is my best treatment?
Using sinus medication also dries up saliva (saliva is the natural way in which the mouth creates less acid and more base). Hence why we had Dentine telling us it would fix our cavities. It’s the saliva-production, that could be the same as sucking on a sugarless piece of candy, for instance.
Have decided my treatment will be a baking-soda rinse (2 tsp. in 1/2 glass warm water) shortly after eating — within 2 hours. Continued use of Listerine for brushing, and a dilution of iodine and water for rinse before bed. No more sinus medication. Nothing that would dry-up saliva production inordinately.
Could probably try to up my calcium with cheeses and spinach. For the most part, it’s too late and like shutting the barn-door after the cows have escaped. I don’t think I have a single, whole tooth. Not one. They are all decayed to one extent or another.
But maybe my simple explanation will help somebody down the line. I wish somebody had explained it to me.